As mentioned before, I am trying to become a more eco conscious foodie. Its easier than I thought and a lot more refreshing and flavorful. Last week I tried Danielle’s recipe of Raw lemon Spinach Pesto from Danielle Cooks.
Of course I had to put my twist on it too!
Danielle used a food processor but I just used my every day blender.
INGREDIENTS (as Danielle describes)
- 1/2 lb baby spinach, washed and dried
- 1/3 Cup evoo
- 1/4 Cup lemon juice
- handful of pine nuts or walnuts, about 1/3 Cup (I chose the pine nuts)
- 1-2 tsp salt
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 3 jalapenos (I added this because I like a nice kick!)
- chopped up fresh garlic. (Add it to taste. I’m addicted to garlic!)
- Blend until smooth. It is easier to add the spinach in stages because it is so bulky. (pay attention that that note from Danielle. Adding it in stages is key!) This keeps well in the fridge for a little over a week because of the high vitamin C content.
After adding garlic and jalapeno since I have very spicy driven taste buds, I was in heaven. This meal was SO tasty! And it was so easy to make. Only downfall was the expensive price of the pine nuts. I’ve come across a couple more recipes to try out with pine nuts so I’m going to have to find a cheaper vendor and buy them in bulk. – SLY