What/Who is the Professional Bohemian?
That’s me! You may not know this but since launching SheenaLaShay.com in 2004, I have maintained five separate blogs on my one website. I used to have five different websites but my readers did not like going to five different places to read my various stories. So here on SheenaLaShay.com, there is:
- Sociology of Sheena – A Lifestyle blog focused on empowerment, dating, death and all the other stuff that makes me tick.
- The North Pole – To understand why I created a Pole Dancing blog, you should read this post, “My Journey to the North Pole.”
- Granola Tendencies – My tag line for this sustainability blog after becoming certified in Green Business is, “Adventures in how a city dweller became one with the trees without actually hugging them.
- Artistic Liberties – I’m a performer, a stage manager, a photographer and more. This blog features those stories.
- Cafe LaShay – I first learned to cook when I was seven years old. I’m also a slight foodie…so, this blog needed to exist.
So…..recently, I decided to add another blog. Upgrade Upon Arrival is the SIXTH blog that I have launched on SheenaLaShay.com
I have a unique vantage point when it comes to travel and adventure. In addition to being a wanderlust bohemian, I am also a project manager in the luxury travel industry. This hybrid existence gives me access in ways the general public doesn’t readily know exist. (Breakfast with Senators discussing laws that affect travel to Cuba & Brand America or a seat at the table of exclusive business summits where the top 100 CEO’s of major travel companies converge to discuss…YOU!) Also, because of my personal life and varied interests, I stay grounded and focused even as I fly all around the world. Meaning, I use my powers and knowledge for good….for the most part.
What does this look like?
It means that I tend to travel for business, for my boutique brand and for my own pleasure. For instance, in 2015, I was in Las Vegas participating in Virtuoso Travel Week. I was in Atlanta leading a private workshop on sensuality. And I was in Thailand on a personal vacation that included stays at a rental villa with a group, a yoga-like compound up in a village somewhere and a one-bedroom suite with a butler at the Dhara Dhevi Chiang Mai. (All three experiences happened during the same trip.) I was also in Pennsylvania completing a Tough Mudder. I was in the Hamptons hosting a group trip just for fun. And I started out in Monte Carlo but ended up in the South of France and Spain hosting a group of executives on a luxury cruise as part of my corporate life.
My Travel Profile
It would be helpful to give you a glimpse into my travel psyche. This will help you make sense of the blog posts you’ll see and understand the predicaments I find myself in.
Travel Personality: The Professional Bohemian
Travel Topics Covered: Business Travel, Luxury Travel, Group Travel, Experiential Travel, Travel Advocacy and Law.
Travel Activities: People Watching. Active Exploring. Mild Adventure. Culture. Libraries. Bookstores. I’m sort of a foodie. I’m sort of a beach bum. I like solo travel, couple’s travel, girlfriend trips, group trips and corporate trips. I like ALL THE THINGS!
Travel Desires: I want convenience of access and recognition. Point. Blank. Period.
Things I Like: Butlers & Bath Maidens. Suites. Meet & Greets by the General Managers. Afternoon Amenities. Transfers in Mercedes. Upgrades Upon Arrival or At the Time of Booking. I’m also conscious of how I spend my money. I don’t mind staying in an Air BnB or booking via HomeAway but I’m also well aware of One Fine Stay. Though I’d much rather a luxurious room in a 5 star Virtuoso property. In a pinch, I’ll take the Megabus to DC, but if its work related to my corporate life, I’m on a Delta Express flight. And if its work-related to my boutique brand, I’m on Amtrak or Royal Traveler. I think what this all shows is that my travel style is flexible. I’ll go on a silent retreat, a ratchet girls weekend in Miami, a luxury cruise from Monte Carlo to Barcelona or spend an entire day exploring 10 different temples in Chaing Mai. Please note, I’m #TeamCarryon but I usually have two pair of heels and five lipsticks in that bag.
My Travel Cred
I have appeared in Worldwide Destination Guide, Travel Weekly, Luxury Travel Advisors twice, and LEADERS Magazine due to my corporate life in managing strategic projects for luxury travel. One of the programs that I manage which brings in $500,000 a year in additional revenue for a travel company also recently won the Travel Weekly Magellan Award in 2016 for Marketing and Advertising.
Travel Conferences I Attend(ed)
- ASTA Global Convention 2017 (San Diego, CA)
- ASTA Capitol Summit 2017 (Washington, D.C.)
- ASTA Global Convention 2016 (Reno, Nevada)
- Virtuoso Travel Week 2016 (Las Vegas, Nevada)
- ASTA Legislative Day 2016 (Washington, D.C.)
- ASTA Premium Business Summit 2016 (Charleston, South Carolina)
- ASTA Global Convention 2015 (Washington, D.C.)
- ASTA Premium Business Summit 2015 (Chicago, IL)
- Virtuoso Regional Symposium 2015 (New York, NY)
- Virtuoso Travel Week 2015 (Las Vegas, Nevada)
- ASTA Business Travel Exchange 2014 (Washington, D.C.)
- Virtuoso Travel Week 2014 (Las Vegas, Nevada)
- Family Winter Office Forum 2014 (New York, NY)
Travel Committees & Memberships I Am Affiliated With
- Virtuoso Member: 2013 – Present
- ASTA Premium Member: 2015 – Present
- ASTA Premium Business Summit Advisory Committee 2015/2016/2017
- ASTA Global Convention Advisory Committee 2016/2017
- ASTA Global Convention Featured Speaker 2016
- ASTA Young Professional Society Vice President Board Member 2016/2017
(Pictured with Denise Jackson, Presiden & CEO of Balboa Travel and H.Carl Brandtonies, President & CEO of Worldview Travel.)
- Travel Agent Regulatory Compliance Course via ASTA
- Sabre Training
- I’m currently studying for my PMP certification too!
Select Hotels I’ve Stayed At
I’ll gradually start writing my reviews and sharing photos, videos and my anecdotal experience of each.
- Banyon Tree Phuket
- Bellagio Las Vegas
- Belmond Charleston Place
- Capella Marigot Bay Resort and Marina
- Dhara Dhevi
- El Palace Hotel Barcelona
- Fairmont Copley Boston
- Four Seasons Resort Lanai
- Four Seasons Resort Oahu at Kolina
- Hotel Metropole Monte-Carlo
- Jefferson Hotel Washington DC
- Omni Berkshire Place NYC
- Park Hyatt NY
- Peninsula Bangkok
- Royalton NY
- THE MODERN HONOLULU
- The Nomad Hotel
- The Parker Palm Springs
- The W South Beach
- The Westin Georgetown in DC
- Trump Las Vegas
- Virgin Hotel Chicago
Hotels I’ve Done Site Tours For
This list will take some time to update. Be that as it may, while I don’t always have the opportunity to stay overnight at hotels for business or pleasure, I also experience numerous site visits monthly conducted by key managers and directors of hotels throughout the world.
- Andaz 5th Avenue in NY
- Hotel Plaza Athenee in NY
- The Four Seasons New York
- The Marmara Park Avenue in NY
- The Peninsula New York
- The Savoy in New York
- SLS Las Vegas
- The Waldorf Astoria New York